If you have one or several iPad apps that are “dark”, still installing, and/or giving you a message saying you need to purchase the app from the app store when you click on it, here is what to do:
If you only have a couple of them, check to see if the app is available in the app portal. If it is, try to install it from there.
However, if you have many:
Take the iPad home. Make sure it is connected to your home network. Plug it in. Leave it alone – don’t even TOUCH it – overnight.
If that doesn’t work:
Bring your iPad by the ARC when you can be without it for several hours – either first thing in the morning, or after 12:30.
Even if your iPad apps are “dark” or missing, you can still access the LMS, use Google Meet, and even check your email by using a web browser [Safari, Chrome, or Firefox].
To access Powerschool LMS, surf to this site:
To join a Google Meet without the iPad app, surf to this site:
To check your email without an app, surf to
–> This is a link to the Setup Slideshow. <–
Get on the network [Settings –> WiFi]
Choose MDS-Student. MDS*****, your standard password.
Check to make sure things are setup.
- Mail [if setting up your account, choose the Google/Gmail option]
- Drive – open it and login
- Notability autobackup – first screen, Gear icon on bottom left, Autobackup. Make sure Google Drive is turned on.
Step Three [only for Upper School]
Middle school, please see the slideshow link above, or the text at the bottom of this article.
Login to your AppleID [Settings –> top left column]
IF YOU HAVE A SCHOOL APPLEID ALREADY:
- Login with your mds email
- If your mds password has at least one uppercase letter, one lowercase letter, and one number, your AppleID password if likely to just be your MDS password.
- If your MDS password is missing a number, try add 1871 to the end.
- If it is missing an uppercase or lowercase letter, try changing the case of the first letter in your password.
- If you changed it and have forgotten – go through the reset process again.
- If things just don’t work, reset your password.
WHY SHOULD I DO THIS?
- Three words: FIND MY IPAD
IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A SCHOOL APPLEID:
You need to set one up.
Easiest way is to surf over to appleid.apple.com
- Use your mds email address
- Use your MDS password
- Security questions: your call. These are only used to retrieve your password if you forget it.
- You’ll have to click on a link in an email to complete the setup.
- THEN go to Settings –> click on the left column top and get logged in.
Google Photos –> set to autobackup your pix/vids
Fire up Google Photos
You should see the options there. “Original Quality” is OK.
Step Three for Middle School
There are some changes for the middle school this year.
A. If you are a returning student to MDS, AND your AppleID is already setup, AND you know what the password is:
- Login to AppleID [top of the left column]
- If you don’t remember your AppleID password, you can either;
- Try adding 1871 or 1876 to the end of your MDS password
- Reset the password [there is a link, or you can surf to iforgot.apple.com to reset it.
- or start using a school-managed AppleID, as explained in the next section
B. If you are a new-to-MDS student
OR are choosing to use a school-managed AppleID:
- You will need your MDS password AND the temporary AppleID password for your account. Your teacher has access to that information.
- Settings –> Login to AppleID [at the top of the left column].
- Your AppleID email address is your email@example.com [For example, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- NOTE: This is DIFFERENT from your MDS email address – which is something like email@example.com
- It will ask you for a password – use the TEMPORARY PASSWORD you have been given.
- THEN the system will ask you to create a new password:
- First, for “Old password” type in the TEMPORARY password you were given. [This is the last time you will use it.]
- For new password, use your standard MDS password. If the system doesn’t like yours, try adding 1871 to the end of it.