Article relating to the “Essential iPad and Tech Skills” for MDS.
- iPad Tips and Tricks -
Gestures, Split View, and More make the iPad even more useful.
Most of this information covers IOS 13 - so if you have not updated, GET IT DONE
- Notability: You won't believe what you can do -
Since it is our primary go-to app for getting stuff done on your iPad, it is REALLY worth your time to learn it well.
First, some pointers from
- How to Check Your Grades -
Although there are a couple of ways to check your grades, here is the foolproof method.
NOTE: Grades are not available during the school day
- iPad: Easy Fixes to several problems -
When your iPad is wonky, the first things to do [before asking for help!] is:
1: Do the ipad reboot dance.
- Notability: Backup to Drive, Retrieve from Drive -
Backing up Notability to Drive
Make SURE your Notability files are backing up to Google Drive
First, Open Notability.
2. On the screen
- The value of a hacked email account -
Many people use the same password at difference sites - including for their email. So if your account info was among those hacked in the many online
- Staying Safe online -
There is an online security researcher named Krebs that published 3 basic rules for online safety. These still make a lot of sense:
If you didn't
- Powerschool - creating a Parent Account - How to Create a Powerschool Parent Account
If you have a returning student and/or previously have created a parent account, you do NOT have to
- Your MDS Email - You can setup any internet enabled device to access your email, using any client software [Outlook, iPad Mail, or any of a plethora of open source
- Think you can Multitask? Think Again. - The Tech team has noticed students with 2 windows open on their desktops in the labs - one window with the class info open, the other with a
- iPad Setup details - What buttons to push to get your iPad setup:
1) Get on the Network
• Find the Settings app
• Click Wi-Fi
• Select the network MDS-Student
- Top 10 free alternatives to Expensive Software - Original article at
Unless you have a company buying
- Find my iPad - PDF version - Click here to get a pdf with detailed instructions
on using Find My iPad: Lost iPad
- The "iPad Reboot Dance" -
Double-click the Home button [the one at the bottom of the screen]. You'll see all of your running apps as stacked windows.
Swipe upwards to
- Save Your Data! [what to do after your iPad gets wiped] - Here's what you need to MAKE SURE gets setup after your iPad gets wiped - or better yet, BEFORE something happens to your iPad.
The Short List
- My iPad isn't working - no email, no printing, no web surfing - Problem: If your iPad all of a sudden stops working oncampus, it is most likely because your subscription to the network has expired.
It MUST be
- Search the Internet without wasting time - This article will get you started searching the internet, and keep you from wasting time while doing it – assuming you don’t WANT to waste time! It
- Are my iPad files being backed up? - Here's how to make sure your Notability files and Pix/Videos are backed up.
Open Google Drive. Look for for the folder
- Textilus part 0: What it is & what it will do -
Textilus Pro is the word processing app that Mount de Sales is rolling out campus wide for use on the iPads. It has all of the standard word
- TEXTILUS part 1: Opening, new document, settings - This is the first in a series of articles on setting up and using Textilus, the word processing app MDS is using on the iPads.
Part 1 will cover
- Find my iPad - how to use - If you have lost or misplaced your iPad, here's how to use "Find my iPad" to figure out where it is.
This only works if
you have correctly
- iPad not working? Can't get on the Web? - If your iPad
can't get on the web
can't access your eText
can't fetch email
....or do anything else that required network access to the
- iPad Setup - Fall 2015 - These instructions may not cover all possible things you'll see on your iPad. Check with a teacher or Mr. Rule before clicking on something if you
- My iPad is busted. What do I do? -
If your iPad is PHYSICALLY damaged
- Can I print from my iPad? - Click for the bigger version
Anywhere on campus, you can call up the print menu [look for the "export" icon - a rectangle with an arrow coming OUT
- Updating your iPad OS - Notes and Tips about updating your iPad:
You'll see an indication that there is a System Update in the Settings App.
Go to Settings -->
- iPad Questions part 3: Apps, Control Center, Notification Center, Spotlight - Another video describing basic iPad stuff, such as
Switching between apps
Seeing all the apps that are currently active
- iPad Questions part 2: Get your Apps Organized - How to move your apps around and get them organized. How to put them in folders on screen, plus a few other tips.
- iPad questions, Part 1 - Answering many questions people have about basics on their iPad. This video [click here for the direct youtube link] covers:
- iPad Backups- how and why - Scroll all the way down to fetch a PDF version of this info.
CLICK HERE for an update about Notability.
At the risk of stating the obvious, you
- iPad movies and pictures to Google Drive - A quick note on how to get movies and pictures from your iPad to your Google Drive.
1. Fire up Google Drive
2. Click the UPLOAD icon [a plus